Sunday, August 26, 2012

An interview with the hero from Dark Abandon...

This blog also appeared first on Just Romantic Suspense...

There are seven shadow soldiers currently in their Spec Ops reserve unit—Theo, Sullivan, Hawke, Micah, Law, Rocket, and Hunter. I interview Theo Sauvage here, the soldier showcased in Dark Abandon.

Theo is the number one sniper on the team. Formerly JTF2, he finished his tour, and now practices law. He’s on board with the reserve unit when situations demand it, amps up the violence when needed, and at times wishes there was some other way.

We meet for this interview at the boat landing on Silver Lake. It’s mid July, a sunny and clear morning. Theo shoulders his go bag after berthing the Bayliner. Hustles Melena to her Firebird and turns in my direction. He’s six-four with café-noire eyes, angular features and a killer smile when he lets it loose.  Two hundred forty pounds of muscle, sinew and grit. Today he’s dressed for the road; shitkickers, black cargo pants, and T-shirt. His sable hair is combed straight back and on the longish side. He rakes a hand through it, shoves on his Oakleys, and checks the time on his watch. He moves toward me.

Theo: Sorry, Kallie. Something’s come up. Five minutes, and I’m gone.

Kallie: How’s Mel?

He glances in Melena’s direction.

Theo: She’s fine, all things considered. You know what happened.

Kallie:  Yes, and it’s got to be tough.

Theo: Yeah, well, she’s tough. And she’s got me.

Kallie: You love her?

I can see he’s uncomfortable with the question when he gives me the stare down, but I wait him out.

Theo: She’s my life. Next question?

Kallie: Are you taking off to avoid this interview? It wouldn’t be the first time.

Theo: No. We’re headed for a ranch in Ontario. Rocket’s got a problem brewing.

Kallie: What’s happening?

Theo: If I tell you, you’ll only write about it and make it worse. All I’ll say is some trouble from Rocket’s past is in the mix.

Kallie: Sounds ominous. And Melena’s going with you? Isn’t that dangerous?

Theo: Anyone tries to hurt Mel, he’ll answer to me. She goes where I go from now on, unless I’m wheels up.

Kallie: I guess it makes sense, at least until things settle down a bit. How are Sullivan and Breeana? Are her injuries healing well after the serial killer incident?

Theo: Sully’s pissed at you, Kallie, that’s for sure. Bree’s recovering nicely, same as Melena. But my bro and I are sick to death of assholes targeting women in your books. Psychopaths, sociopaths, mobsters, what’s next? We’re all exhausted, and I’d like to get back to being a lawyer once in a while. When will it end?

Kallie: It won’t stop, Theo, not as long as I write romantic suspense about the shadow soldiers.

He leans into me, wraps an arm around my shoulders. He smells of the forest, clean and fresh.

Theo: You know Sully’s the detective lieutenant of Homicide in Montreal. And he says you have a criminal mind, and that’s why you’re so obsessed with plotting these novels. The rest of the team agrees. Why not take up tai chi instead? We worry about you, babe.

Kallie: Don’t you mean you’re taking too many hits and can’t hack the aches and pains?

Theo: Now that’s cutting deep. Jeez, look at the time? Interview’s over.

Kallie: It’s nice seeing you again, Theo.

Theo: Same goes. Stay safe, Kallie, but find yourself a new profession before you get somebody seriously hurt.

Happy reading everyone! Kallie


No comments:

Post a Comment